OxygenD's Yummy Mummy Fitness

Thursday, December 9, 2010

My ‘aha’ moment

Do you ever wonder how some women manage to do it all? You know, working out every day, cooking all their meals from scratch, working full-time AND being a parent?

When I had my daughter, I thought it was impossible to achieve. Between work, feeding, changing and following a nap schedule, even a shower was a luxury. Finding time to work out? You’ve got to be kidding me.

As a 40-year-old mother, I really believed my fitness days were over. I felt too guilty to take time for myself. But there was a pivotal moment while I was weaning my daughter. We had family pictures taken. You know those pictures that make you think, “Do I really look that heavy?” That was it for me! I promised myself I would lose the baby weight.

I had to figure out how to exercise and eat right with my schedule. Putting together quick but effective workouts and learning how to make healthy food fast, have gotten me in the best shape of my life. Taking 30-45 minutes a day first thing in the morning and cooking and freezing food on Wednesday and Sunday have insured my success.

I also realized making time to workout and eat right wasn’t just something for me. I found out a happy, healthy mom equals a happy, healthy family.

My top fit mom tips:

Workout

  • Wake up early enough to get your workout in.
  • Put your favorite music on your iPod and put it with your tennis shoes next to your bed.
  • Increase calorie burn with HIIT, plyos, sprints, and jump rope in-between exercises.
  • Make a binder of workouts and new recipes to keep your enthusiasm fresh.

Motivation

  • Abandon the all or nothing mentality. Something is always better than nothing.
  • Reward yourself with something other than food like a massage, pedicure, or a new outfit.
  • Make a vision board of other fit moms who inspire you.
  • Keep a journal with motivational quotes and track your nutrition, training, and progress.
  • Remember you are worth it and you‘re not alone!

Food

  • Invest time and research into cooking all the foods you love in a healthy way.
  • Find restaurants or grocery stores in your area that offer quick and healthy food choices.

As a mother have you ever wondered how to do it all? Have you experienced a pivotal moment or struggled with feelings of guilt?

Please share your story- the successes and the struggles!

6 comments:

  1. So I am not a mom (or even a girl for that matter!) but I completely agree with abandoning the ''all or nothing'' mentality. TD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great tips! Can't wait to apply them! Happy wife=happy life...healthy mom=healthy fam! C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the advice!!! Now, I need to put it into action :).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I completely agree! The motivation and the focus to achieve your goals is really the underlying factor in weight loss - I achieved my goals over the last couple of years but have since fallen off the "healthy wagon" and gained 20lbs. But I know that I can get back on track and get my sexy back. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I got into health and fitness around middle school after experiencing one of those "aha" moments. I was a very chubby kid in grade school, and my moment came on my 13th birthday. I had asked for this really cute outfit from the JCPenney catalog for my birthday and we were at this restaurant celebrating. I opened my present and went to the bathroom to try it on, only it didn't fit! I came back out to dinner in my old clothes and embarrassed that the clothes didn't fit. I was young when this happened, but boy did it spark a fire in me!! I lost 30 lbs. after that and have kept those new habits to this day at 26.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we only needed one "aha" moment. I know I've had a few. Motivation and focus are very important, but sometimes life takes over and our goals lose first priority. It takes a constant effort.

    Thank you all for your comments. I'm learning how to effectively provide the information you want to read.

    ReplyDelete