OxygenD's Yummy Mummy Fitness

Monday, May 16, 2011

Are fit moms dedicated or obsessed?

Are there people in your life that think your passion for fitness is more like obsession? I struggle with this as a mom, because people try to make me feel like the time I put into fitness is time I'm neglecting my daughter. At a kids birthday party this weekend, I found myself feeling like I didn't fit in. Is it really that weird that my daughter doesn't want soda or a blue cupcake? Moms at parties or children's functions say things like, " I have better things to do with my day than workout, and that my passion for fitness is extreme." I end up feeling like they don't get me at all.

Sometimes I wonder if I am obsessed and if I'm being the best mom I can be, and then I remind myself of this quote- have you heard it, "Obsession is what lazy people call dedication!" Are there people in your life that don't get how you can wake up to workout at the crack of dawn, or how you can pack your food and bring it with you everywhere you go, and they try to make you feel bad about it? But when swimsuit season rolls around they want to know how to get in shape in a few weeks?

Isn't this backwards? How did it get to be the norm to not want to be healthy and why is paying attention to your health considered extreme?

4 comments:

  1. I totally get where you come from! We went to a kids museum yesterday and I normally pack up a cooler for the family coz I know there will nothing for me to eat. Anyway, crazy kids and lack of time meant we didn't do it, and guess what, the cafe at the museum was horrible! They had dino nuggets or mac n cheese for the kids so I ended up getting an adult turkey roll for them to share (more cost but at least healthy) and then for me it had to be a veggie burger on a white roll that I had to dissect to make it healthy and it still felt yuk!! Funny thing was when I asked if that was all they had they told me that the dino nuggets were good for the kids!!!!
    I get comments all the time about what I feed the kids and "don't you find it too much hassle and stress, and surely you can take a day off from the gym" You know what, I look at their kids and them and think yep, I'm making the best choices for me and my family.

    Some people are just jealous, keep doing what you do and looking great, as you do, and you will have a lot of people wishing they had your dedication and willpower.

    Fab posting today as I think a lot of us moms can relate to it! :0)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My will power and dedication are patchy to say the least(and I am not a mom) but still I was just having a discussion with my own mom about an article talking about how people making good decisions make people who dont make good decisions see their flaws, or makes them insecure and upset that they cannot accomplish what you accomplish which causes them to make fun or make a negative comment/twist to it. Its sad really. Good post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a mom but if I had a daughter who wouldn't want a soda and a blue cupcake I'd think I'm doing a very good job as a mom!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post! Right there with you on that one. I definately get comments about how crazy I am when I admit that I get up at 5 AM 7 days a week to be get my training in and cooler packed. Prioritizing health only makes us better Moms, leading our kids to better attitudes towards food and exercise.

    ReplyDelete