OxygenD's Yummy Mummy Fitness

Thursday, May 26, 2011

How I got my ABS back!

We've all been there, after the birth of our beautiful children, we look at our bellies and wonder if we'll ever look like we used to. Getting my ABS back after having Giavella felt impossible. My belly looked like a deflated balloon, and trying to adapt to life as a new mom kept me so busy I didn't know how to find the time to make fitness a priority. I wanted to share what helped me, and I hope you'll share what helped you. We can all benefit from telling our experience and supporting each other.



  • Commit to a workout every day for your mental and physical health. This doesn't have to be at the gym. Change your thinking to-something is always better than nothing. I remember days of only being able to do jump rope with push ups, lunges, and squats. Knowing I was doing everything I could empowered me to not give up on myself.

  • Talk to a trainer about the AB exercises to correct Diastasis Recti also known as Abdominal Separation. It involves specific exercises to retrain and strengthen your ab wall that was pulled apart through pregnancy. I still have it a little, but it's much better than what it was.

  • What you're eating is crucial. Get with a Nutritionist or find a Nutrition plan. Your body has been through a lot and clean whole foods will go a long way in getting your weight back down, improving the tightness of your skin, and sustaining your energy.

  • Start or Join a mommy bootcamp. These workouts are not for wimps. They combine different exercises with and without your stroller and are not only good for your body, but it's also important for you to meet with other moms and support each other

  • When you're ready, take on a big goal. Run a marathon, do a fitness competition, whatever it is, it will force you to take a little time every day to make your fitness your focus. Look at Jennifer Lopez, she had twins and did a Triathlon and looks better than ever.

  • Stop making excuses. This one is hard, but the truth is, we all have 24 hours in a day.
I promise you this, if you are consistent day after day with exercise and clean nutrition, you will have your pre-baby belly back. It's a process and can't be rushed, so put up a fight and don't quit until you're where you wanted to be! What do you think?

4 comments:

  1. I love it Kim this is very inspiring as well as so true. This is my favorite Blog so far:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Does this also ring true for Moms who had babies over 12 years ago? Wonder what our ab wall looks like so many years later. Probably not good.

    I just hired a personal trainer and have been eating clean for 8 months. My upper abs (right under my boobs down to my belly button) is starting to show definition, but the lower belly is a whole other story. Zoiks!!!

    Thanks for inspiring us. It helps to know it CAN be done....that there is hope for the stretched out, stretch-marked lower belly flap! LOL

    xoxo
    Roxie-Girl

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, inspiring! I actually found my abs for the 1st time after having 2 babies! It can be done...with a lot of hard work and dedication but so worth it!

    Lower abs the toughest here too :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so inspiring!! I'm going to share this with my clients :)

    ReplyDelete