OxygenD's Yummy Mummy Fitness

Thursday, January 20, 2011

Protecting our Kids from the Decline of Healthy Eating

Picture it, I'm standing in the cereal aisle of the grocery store and my daughter is saying, "Mom I saw that one on TV can we buy it?"

How many times has this happened to you? She's only 3, and we don't watch very much TV. So, how does this happen? Everyone keeps telling me, wait until she starts going to birthday parties and school, then all she's going to want to eat is junk!

On top of this, there's so much misguided information and advertising.
Did you happen to catch the Kellogg’s case in the news? The FTC ordered them to pay for their claim that Rice Krispies boosted immunity!

Oxygen readers we know about processed foods and trans fats, but isn't it sad that we can't trust packaging?

Help me with this one, is it really inevitable? What do you do to keep your kids from what most say is the decline of healthy eating?

8 comments:

  1. I only keep healthy food choices in our home, but it is a struggle to monitor what they eat outside of the home. At least I know I am teaching and showing them the importance of a healthy lifestyle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The best thing we can do is continue to lead by example. They are watching us and want to emulate us. Other than that, we need to continue to educate them on how things really are, because the media won't.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW... This is a hard question to answer BC children @ her age are very visual and explaining to them is not the answer BC even some adults have difficulty understanding.
    Maybe being creative which I know you are, you can put together a picture book with children eating poorly and other children eating the healthy alternatives and showing how their bodies react to the difference would be key.
    The unhealthy children becoming less active, getting fatter and developing acne. Visually this would change the way they see these commercials.
    GOOD LUCK

    ReplyDelete
  4. They may see it & they may get it outside of the home but atleast if you set a good example at home they'll have a healthy foundation!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have to battle those horrible yogurt commercials with the twins from the Disney channel!! Its hard to explain when they're that young that its not good for them... so instead I make yummy plain yogurt with a tiny bit of Stevia, granola, and fruit and we call them "parfaits". They LOVE them!! I think finding healthy, delicious alternatives is key.

    Sure, I ate sugar cereal my entire first year of college because I wasn't allowed to have it as a kid, but it wore off. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle said

    I have raised three children and have battled their whining, and I agree with the statements made above, but it really comes down to the most simple solution of all....JUST SAY NO. No explanations (because they won't understand, what good nutrition versus bad nutrition), just say no to the "junk"
    P.S. You can always follow it up by saying "Because I said so"...they understand that---LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  8. My daughter has been raised on clean whole foods, so the idea that she'll be subject to this really bothers me. I'm grateful for your help, and I'm going to take your advice. It feels good to know I'm not alone.

    Thanks, Yummy Mummys & Alberto:)

    ReplyDelete