OxygenD's Yummy Mummy Fitness

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Getting out of the House with Kids, a True Test of a Mother's Patience

Remember the days when you grabbed your purse and walked out the door? Why is it so hard to get out of the house? If you're a mom reading this, I know you're smiling. After I had my daughter, I was overwhelmed by the time it took to get a 9 pound, yes I said 9 pound, baby out of the house. As she gets older the list of necessary items changes. My daughter, Giavella has to have everything just so. So, there's no distracting her or winging it. And, doesn't it seem like the one day you forgot something is the only day you needed it-like an extra pair of socks. Wow, all the things we have to think about and that's just to get out the door! And then you look at your impeccable child, well fed, and clothed. Meanwhile, you're in PJS and a scrunchie! I love real life. Sometimes you just have to grab your coffee and go and pray you don't run in to someone, like an ex-boyfriend!

How do you not allow this to frustrate you and ruin your day?
Do you have a full proof method of leaving the house without wanting to leave skid marks:)? If so, please share!

4 comments:

  1. This is a hilarious post! :) It's so funny because it's so true, and you discuss in such a humorous way! The only thing I've found that helps is to set my expectations low. When I know that my 2.5 year old and I (which also has to have everything a certain way) need to get somewhere, I literally start preparing for it 45 minutes beforehand. So, if we need to leave by 9:00am, I start getting him dressed at 8:15, then by the time snacks / drinks are packed, mom is ready, all toys/necessary items are loaded in the car with child, it's 9:00! So, I just started giving myself a LOT more time than it should take in my mind, and I found I'm a bit more sane!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a mother of 3 year old twins, I know about this frustration all too well. I don't think there are any full proof plans, but there are ideas to help keep your sanity.
    1. Load your car with all the days' necessaties the night before.
    2. Always carry a bag of extras in your car (diapers, wipes, clothes, socks)
    3. Make your & your child's bfast the night before if you can.
    Those tips have helped me to have a near perfect exit out the door most mornings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maria & Carrie,

    Thanks for the input. Great advice! I agree, there is no full proof plan but being organized and flexible go a long way.
    And some days.....you just have to let it go:)

    Yours in Health,

    Kim

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaha I LOVE it!! So funny because all of us crazy mommies know exactly what you mean. :)

    I have my little corner of the counter where everything I need in order to leave the house and survive a trip out with the kiddos goes. If my husband cleans the counter off.... Lord help us all!!!

    ;)

    ReplyDelete